The name of the game on Christmas morning for this girl is simplicity. Especially when there is family in from out of town, a dozen kids sleeping over, and adults up late the night before still assembling toys . . . complicated just will not do.
Here’s a French Toast Bake that is quick, easy and will have your family eating out of your hand. Since this is a Christmas blog, we’re touting this recipe as perfect for the King of all celebratory days ~ Christmas Day ~ but really, this recipe is fabulous any time of year when you have lotsa mouths to feed early in the morning. Best part? You put it together the night before, refrigerate, then just pop it into the oven in the morning! It cooks while you sip coffee in front of the Christmas tree. 🙂
This recipe in it’s original version, however, was a sugar bomb. Being the health freak that I am, I just couldn’t recommend it when you’re feeding the people you love the most. But, do not fear, I’ve made some healthy tweaks so now it can be enjoyed freely!
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup coconut nectar sugar
- 1 loaf of thickly sliced bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling
- Cinnamon for sprinkling
- Raw honey
- Melt butter in microwave & stir in the coconut sugar.
- Pour butter/sugar mix into bottom of 9 x 13 pan….spread around.
- Beat eggs, milk, & vanilla, and set aside. Cut off the crust of the bread (your kids will adore you for this).
- Lay single slices of bread in pan, and spoon half of the egg mixture over the bread, topping with cinnamon
- Add second layer of bread, and spoon on remainder of the egg mixture.
- Cover and chill over night.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove foil for the last 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with melted raw honey.
Photo courtesy and recipe adapted from: www.tablespoon.com