It’s true. I hate to be the bearer of bad news for all of you summer, hot weather, sunshine lovers, but the fall season is just about here. The temps at night are getting cooler, and the leaves on the trees are getting ready to begin their stunning metamorphosis. It’s really a beautiful time of year, but I know us northern folks always hate to see summer slip by us.
One of the quintessential fall treats is the taffy apple. I am always tempted when I see them in the produce department at the grocery store, but these delectable treats are quite easy to make yourself and kinda fun too. Today’s post brings you a recipe for 6 minute caramels, and since you’re already working with all the right ingredients, it’s a perfect opportunity to make your your taffy apples, too.
For the caramels, here’s what you’re going to need:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup karo syrup, light
- 1/2 cup condensed milk, sweetened
- Lightly grease a shallow baking dish or line with parchment paper.
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Over medium-high heat, slowly bring to a boil until your candy thermometer reaches 360*, stirring constantly.
- Boil for 4-5 minutes, continuing to stir.
- Pour into lightly greased dish, stirring as you go.
- Let cool, then cut and wrap in wax paper and store in an air-tight container.
- Give to your best friend for Christmas. ♥
If you are making your own caramel dipped apples, you’ll just need to cook over medium-high heat for 6 minutes, then dip those apples! Roll in chopped peanuts and try not to drool. So so good.