As much as we talk around here about keeping things simple and quick, sometimes spending a bit more time is just really nice, and ever so appreciated. A couple of years back when the two girls were just finishing up school and starting out (read: no money), they made a suggestion for Christmas gifts. The suggestion was that we exchange hand-made gifts that year, and the "rule" was that all the supplies to make said gifts could total no more than $10 each. It was challenging, but I gotta say that it was one of the best, most meaningful Christmases for us. There was more anticipation when opening the gifts that year maybe because we DID spend more time and had more personally invested! Lotsa smiles 'round the tree that year.
So it is with today's Christmas dessert idea, one that will take a bit more time but be totally worth it. Just to look at this Santa Cake makes me smile, and I'm guessing it does that for you too. You can pass the tedium of slicing the heads, err hats, off of the strawberries with Christmas music, no? :) And, yes there is a cake underneath all that cuteness, but I'm going to assume that we all know how to make a basic cake mix and frost it. :) Here's the deats for this adorable Santa Cake:
- 1 lb large strawberries
- 1 package cream cheese
- 4 Tablespoons powdered sugar (or sugar substitute - to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cut the strawberries in half, creating the hat from the top.
- Mix the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla together until creamy.
- Using a piping bag (or Ziploc with the corner snipped off), fill the bottom half of the strawberries.
- Top with the hats and decorate!